1) The protagonist of this novel, Pip, is a young boy that is full of expectations but faces unexpected challenges in life. He was taken in by his sister and her husband. This novel expresses the maturity of Pip and shows how he grows throughout the story with people that were both good or bad but were both influential.
2) Pip is determined to live life adventurously but he is held back by his child like mind.
3) Dickens uses detailed information as he describes different scenarios and uses strong imagery while doing so. For example: "His age was about sixty. That he was a muscular man, strong on his legs, and that he was browned and hardened by exposure to kind of amazement, that he was holding out of both hands to me"
4 Imagery: "stretching up cautiously out of their graves, to get a twist around his ankle and pull him in.”
Point of view: "I had never felt before, so blessedly, what it is to have a friend.”
Metaphor: "when I first left the forge, so, the evening mists were rising now.”
Syntax: "become constitutionally green and yellow by reason of me"
Foreshadowing: “Magwitch returned with a complete change of character. It was as if though he wanted the audience to be against him.
Foil: “Joe loves Pip and Orlick is one selfish and unlikeable person
Motifs: “The connection between the world of Pip with the other characters.
Allusion: "through his struggle with Laertes on the brink of the orchestra and the grave"
Aphorism: "one's white-smith, and one's goldsmith, and one's a copper-smith. Divisions among such must come.
1) Direct: "I found him to be a dry man, rather short of stature, with a square wooden face"
"He rubbed, first of them, and then the other, in a most uncongenial and uncomfortable matter.
Indirect: "is he changed?” “Very much"
"That girls’ hard and haughty and capriciouse to the last degree.”
2) The author uses qualities which makes Pip as a character change throughout the novel. The diction and syntax show the characterizations of each individual.
3) The protagonist is dynamic because Pip's character shows the improvement of growing throughout the novel.
4) I felt as if though Pip was a strong character as I was able to see his improvement throughout the novel. He matured throughout the text and became a whole new character.